The Small Claims Court Is in Session!
Duration: 60 min.
Suggested level: Secondary 3
Subject: Anglais, langue seconde, Law, Financial Education, Ethics and Religious Culture, English Language Arts
Students stage a mock civil trial between a consumer and a business. They discover the various players involved and experience what a trial is like in this court.
- Learn about the rights of consumers.
- Learn about the resolution of disputes through the legal system.
- Understand how Small Claims Court works.
Broad areas of learning
- Citizenship and Community Life:
- Promotion of the rules of social conduct and democratic institutions
- Adoption of a culture of peace
- Career Planning and Entrepreneurship:
- Familiarity with the world of work, social roles and occupations and trades.
- Using information:
- Gathering information and putting it to use
- Solving problems:
- Analyzing the components of a problem
- Testing possible solutions
- Exercising critical judgment:
- Forming his/her opinion and comparing it to other opinions
- Managing his/her communication process
- Using the appropriate mode of communication
- Éducaloi’s video on evidence in the Small Claims Court
- Éducaloi’s article on the legal warranty
- Éducaloi’s article on the Small Claims Court
External pedagogical ressources
- Part of an episode from the series Le droit de savoir on Small Claims Court (French only)
- Video by the Court of Quebec on the role of the judge in the Small Claims Court
Requires 30 minutes preparation by students.