Beat the Buzzer!
Duration: 60 min.
Suggested level: Secondary 2
Subject: Anglais, langue seconde, Law, Financial Education, Ethics and Religious Culture, English Language Arts
In this game, teams square off to answer questions about legal issues affecting the lives of 12- 17-year-olds.
- Increase students’ knowledge of the law.
- Encourage reflection on the origins and fairness of certain laws.
- Develop skills to identify the legal aspects of a situation.
Broad areas of learning
- Citizenship and Community Life:
- Promotion of the rules of social conduct and democratic institutions.
- Adoption of a culture of peace.
- Using information:
- Putting information to use
- Solving problems:
- Analyzing the components of a problem
- Exercises critical judgment
- Forming and expressing an opinion while undertanding the opinions of others.
- Several articles and web guides in the Youth section of Éducaloi’s website on the various branches of the legal system and different legal careers.
- Éducaloi article on the laws of Quebec and Canada.
External pedagogical ressources
- Website of the CNESST (labour standards, pay equity and workplace health and safety board): Teachers’ section providing several activities on labour law (French only).
- Website of the Office de la protection du consommateur (consumer protection office): teaching activities on consumer law.
- Website of the Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse (human rights and youth rights commission): various teaching materials.