Beat the Buzzer!
Duration: 60 min.
Suggested level: Secondary 2
Subject: Law, Financial Education, Ethics and Religious Culture, English Language Arts
The Act respecting the regulation of work by children was assented to on June 1, 2023. This law aims to regulate child labour and provides a general age limit to work in Quebec, with some exceptions. As a result, our workshop is currently under review.
In this game, teams square off to answer questions about legal issues affecting the lives of 12- 17-year-olds.
- Increase students’ knowledge of the law.
- Encourage reflection on the origins and fairness of certain laws.
- Develop skills to identify the legal aspects of a situation.
Broad areas of learning
- Citizenship and Community Life:
- Promotion of the rules of social conduct and democratic institutions.
- Adoption of a culture of peace.
- Using information:
- Putting information to use
- Solving problems:
- Analyzing the components of a problem
- Exercises critical judgment
- Forming and expressing an opinion while undertanding the opinions of others.
- Several articles and web guides in the Youth section of Éducaloi’s website on the various branches of the legal system and different legal careers.
- Éducaloi article on the laws of Quebec and Canada.
External pedagogical ressources
- Website of the Office de la protection du consommateur (consumer protection office): teaching activities on consumer law.
- Website of the Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse (human rights and youth rights commission): various teaching materials.
Would you like to request this workshop? Register or log in to your account to make a request. It’s free!