The Small Claims Court Is in Session!
Students stage a mock civil trial between a consumer and a business. They discover the various players involved and experience what a trial is like in this court.
- Learn about the rights of consumers.
- Learn about the resolution of disputes through the legal system.
- Understand how Small Claims Court works.
Broad areas of learning
- Citizenship and Community Life:
- Promotion of the rules of social conduct and democratic institutions
- Adoption of a culture of peace
- Career Planning and Entrepreneurship:
- Familiarity with the world of work, social roles and occupations and trades.
- Using information:
- Gathering information and putting it to use
- Solving problems:
- Analyzing the components of a problem
- Testing possible solutions
- Exercising critical judgment:
- Forming his/her opinion and comparing it to other opinions
- Managing his/her communication process
- Using the appropriate mode of communication
- Éducaloi’s video on evidence in the Small Claims Court
- Éducaloi’s article on the legal warranty
- Éducaloi’s article on the Small Claims Court
External pedagogical ressources
- Part of an episode from the series Le droit de savoir on Small Claims Court (French only)
- Video by the Court of Quebec on the role of the judge in the Small Claims Court
Your documents have been updated thanks to the CAIJ’s support.
Requires 30 minutes preparation by students.