Pick Your Side!
September 2023: 2 new debate topics. Check them out in the debate topics list at the end of this page.
Students take a position on issues that stimulate debate. They learn that the concept of justice evolves constantly and is shaped by the clash of ideas and changing societal values. Students then discuss why they chose one side over the other. The volunteer legal professional presents relevant legal information and encourages students to reflect on the issues raised.
- Increase students’ knowledge of the law
- Encourage reflection on the origins and fairness of certain laws
- Take a position and express an opinion on complex and possibly controversial topics
Broad areas of learning
- Citizenship and Community Life:
- Promotion of the rules of social conduct and democratic institutions
- Adoption of a culture of peace
- Career Planning and Entrepreneurship:
- Familiarity with the world of work, social roles and occupations and trades.
- Using information:
- Putting information to use
- Solving problems:
- Analyzing the components of a problem
- Exercising critical judgment:
- Forming and expressing an opinion while understanding the opinions of others
- Éducaloi article on the laws of Quebec and Canada
- Several articles and web guides in the Youth section of Éducaloi’s website on the various branches of the legal system and different legal careers
Your documents have been updated thanks to the CAIJ’s support.