Pick Your Side!
Duration: 60 min.
Suggested level: Secondary 3
Subject: Law, Ethics and Religious Culture, English Language Arts
The Act respecting the regulation of work by children was assented to on June 1, 2023. This law aims to regulate child labour and provides a general age limit to work in Quebec, with some exceptions. As a result, our workshop is currently under review.
Students take a position on issues that stimulate debate. They learn that the concept of justice evolves constantly and is shaped by the clash of ideas and changing societal values. Students then discuss why they chose one side over the other. The volunteer legal professional presents relevant legal information and encourages students to reflect on the issues raised.
- Increase students’ knowledge of the law
- Encourage reflection on the origins and fairness of certain laws
- Take a position and express an opinion on complex and possibly controversial topics
Broad areas of learning
- Citizenship and Community Life:
- Promotion of the rules of social conduct and democratic institutions
- Adoption of a culture of peace
- Career Planning and Entrepreneurship:
- Familiarity with the world of work, social roles and occupations and trades.
- Using information:
- Putting information to use
- Solving problems:
- Analyzing the components of a problem
- Exercising critical judgment:
- Forming and expressing an opinion while understanding the opinions of others
- Éducaloi article on the laws of Quebec and Canada
- Several articles and web guides in the Youth section of Éducaloi’s website on the various branches of the legal system and different legal careers
Would you like to request this workshop? Register or log in to your account to make a request. It’s free!